Samsung UN50EH6000 Review
50 inch 120Hz, 1080p Edge Lit LED-LCD Television
by Jack Burden, Reviewer
- Color Rendition Accuracy and Calibration to D6500K
- Full-array LED backlighting is bright with strong light output
- Connect Share feature brings most of the premium internet movie options
- Clean design with nice elements for the price point
- Wide Color Enhancer feature helps with contrast loss in off center viewing
- 120Hz rate panel (CMR240) feature helps with fast motion images and sports
- Smooth picture uniformity with full-array led backlight
- Auto Motion Plus de-judder works well if set right
- Semi-Matte screen finish good for situations with lots of lights behind viewer.
- If automotion feature is set wrong it can interfere with background elements in movies
- Semi-Matte screen finish give the picture a flat appearance with lack of depth
- Small range of viewing angles
- Black levels not deeply saturated
- 3.7" depth
- 2 HDMI inputs
- Lacks Full Smart TV options (Apps)
- No 3D
Picture Quality Rating: 8.4
Semi-Matte Finish Screen
We initially thought at CES the EH6000 was going to receive the clear coat screen which gives the picture so much depth, but this is not the case. The matte screen is similar to the ones found on the D650 LCD TVs from last year which we also liked a lot. In the end it's good to have options out there. The matte type screen finish found on this TV has its place in some situations. When? Particularly when there are lights on from behind the viewer. This is the best application for the EH6000, as there is less reflection from the matte-type screen.
A shot from the BluRay of Rocky shows good color and detail in dark areas on the EH6000
Color performance on the UN50EH6000 pleases. It is both realistic and accurate. If you are good about keeping the backlight in check, colors won't wash out. Once the backlight is dialed back in calibration, the realistic colors really stand out. If that's not what you are looking for, leave the backlight as it is. This way fans of either look can be satisfied by the EH6000. Blacks on this set are less saturated than many models tested this year. When looking at flesh tones, they come out looking natural but flat. One of the areas you really improve in by purchasing the higher end models is color rendition.
Side Angle Viewing
For an edge-lit LED television, the side angle viewing performance on the UN50EH6000 can be considered decent. Contrast begins to fade around 30 degrees. 30 degrees is a good number for an edge lit LED television, but is helped in 2012 by the wide color enhancer technology that is built in to the 50EH6000 series.
Another scene from Rocky shows nice color rendition on the EH6000
Black performance on the EH6000 is not a strong point due to the matte screen finish. This is one of the weaknesses of the picture quality.
Features Rating: 7.8
Connect Share for Movies
This features allows you to access the biggest (paid for) movie services available. That includes Netflix, Amazon Video-On-Demand, Hulu, VuDu and more. It is going to be good enough for most people without being able to access the full array of Apps Samsung has for 2012.
The 50EH6000 has a very thin black bezel measuring .75" in width. Not one of the more refined or flashy designs on the market, but it looks good for the price point. Due to LED backlighting, the total TV depth though is considerably deeper than we have seen in a long time. It weighs in at a hefty 3.7". However, the depth is well hidden if looking at the TV from the front to sides due to a thin framing bezel on the sides of the TV.
Menu and Remote
The menu system is the same as last years D-series menu. Its got plenty of options and is easy to navigate, while the remote is simple, backlit and complete.
Value Rating: 8/10
The 50EH6000FXZA sells for between $1000 and $1150. The picture quality is strong, but there are not many additional features. It is good to note that we have been fans of Samsung's matte-type screen since the C650 series in 2010. However, I cannot say that I think the 50EH6000 is a great buy. There are many more options out there in Samsung's own lineup. I'm talking about the very feature-laden 50ES6500 that is only going to run you a couple hundred dollars more. This is really going to be your only option if you want a Samsung quality TV with matte finish and none of the extra features. The matte screen finish is becoming hard to find in quality TVs.
Overall Rating: 8/10
- 50" Diagonal Screen
- 1080p Full HD
- 44.8" W x 28.5" H x 9" D with stand
- 44.8" W x 26.5" H x 3.7" D without stand
- HDMI 2
- Component 1
- Composite (AV) 1
- USB 2.0 1
- Digital Audio (Optical) Yes
- Audio Out Mini Jack Yes
- RF In 1
|Jack Burden has been reviewing and writing reviews in the consumer electronics category for 7 years with CEAG. He considers grayscale gradation, film patterned retarders, and focus field drives to be fun topics. Read more about Jack|
- Samsung UN60EH6000 Review
- Samsung UN40EH6000 Review
- Samsung UN46EH6000 Review
- Samsung LCD & LED TV: See a complete listing of Samsung's LED & LCD TV Line Up
- Compare LCD TV Ratings: A quick comparison chart of all our reviewed televisions
- LED TV vs. LCD TV: An in-depth comparison of the two technologies
- LCD TV Reviews: Read LCD TV Reviews