LG 37LK450 Review
37" 1080p LG LCD TV
Picture and Viewing Features
Everyone is on the the latest and greatest 3D TVs and LED TVs, but dont underestimate some of these excellent little LCD TVs for delivering the best value (along with plasma) in the marketplace. From past reviews and viewing at CES we know that this TV has a strong picture performance at a value oriented price. This is a value oriented 60Hz, 1080p full high definition LCD TV that does not have the upgraded 120Hz feature. That features has never been our favorite. This TV might be a very good choice for those that want an extra TV for a brightly lit bedroom as these LG LCD TVs have a natural anti-glare screen that really works to reduce glare.
Viewing angle is usually somewhat impaired and contrast begins to degrade at around 30 degrees off center. But colors are crisp and not oversaturated like many LED TVs.
The picture is not as bright as an LED (thank goodness) that's cranked way up in contrast, but provides plenty of brightness and contrast for 90% of viewing content.
One recent past LG LCD TV received an 93.5 picture rating and editors choice award from us. The picture on some of these LCDs is usually more consistent and uniform with even higher end LED TVs. And for the price they become very compelling offerings as they are cheaper to produce than newer LED backed LCD TVs.
Appearance is not a focal point for these new LCD TVs as they give way to LED backlit LCDs in the aesthetic department. The plastic black slightly brushed framing bezel is not bad looking and is about 2" in width all the way around the screen. Panel depth measures around 2.5 to 3".
Internet Applications and Connectivity
The LK450 series does not have LG's improved SmartTV functionality for Internet TV. However, LG does have a SmartTV upgrader device called the ST600 Smart TV Upgrader which would allow you to receive all of LG's new Internet TV features. It is sold seperately.
3 included HDMI inputs should be plenty. LG Simplink for other LG devices. 1 Component video input should be sufficient for your favorite older DVD player. USB 2.0 for access to digital music and photos (MP3, JPEG)
-Jack Burden, Editorial Contributor
- 37.0" diagonal screen size
- 16:9 native aspect ratio, 6 correction modes
- ENERGY STAR certified
- 3 HDMI/HDCP inputs, v1.4 (2 rear, 1 side)
- 2 composite AV inputs, 2 component video inputs + audio, RF input, PC input, PC audio input, USB 2.0 input
- Headphone output, digitital optical audio output
- 10W + 10W built in speakers with Infinite Sound, Auto Volume Leveler, Clear Voice II, and 5 sound modes
- Includes 20° tabletop swivel stand; VESA compliant 200mm x 100mm
- Includes remote control; RS-232c port
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p resolution
- Intelligent sensor adjusts picture to room light level
- 4ms response time
- XD Engine
- 8 picture modes, 3 color temperature correction modes, and 3 AV modes
- Picture Wizard II calibration
- ISFccc ready
- 24p input capable
- Deep Color and x.v.Color
- Bass/Treble/Balance controls
- SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC)
- Input labeling
- Smart Energy Saving
- Power consumption: 180W max, 150W average, <0.1W stand-by mode
- Dimensions (with/without stand): 35.9"/35.9" W x 25.2"/22.5" H x 10.4"/3.0" D
- Weight (with/without stand): 28.2 lbs/24.5 lbs