Samsung UN55ES6500 vs. Samsung UN55ES6580 Features Comparison
What are the differences between the UN55ES6500 and the UN55ES6580?
by Robert Wiley
First let's take a look at a few similarities:
- Both TVs are:
- Edge Lit LED Backlit LCD Televisions
- Neither TV has the Front facing Camera on the higher end Samsung LED TVs
- Neither TV has the Smart Interaction feauture also found on the higher end Samsung LED Tvs.
- Both TVs have the new for 2012 dual core processor for Smart TV use in watching the screen in dual mode with Smart TV options on one half and programming on the other half.
- Both are full HD 1080p, and both are active 3D.
- Both have built in Wifi to access the Internet Smart TV suite with.
Here's how they are different:
In appearance they are similar but the UN55ES6580 has a slightly more refined bezel frame that is .2” less wide. Both are black and both measure a bit over 1.2' in depth.
The UN55ES6500 has a 240Hz Auto Motion Plus feature while the UN55ES6580 has a 480Hz Clear Motion Rate feature that has faster processing ability for fast action.
This is due to the Micro Dimming Feature in the UN55ES6580 – a local dimming feature that gives the TV the ability to manipulate the backlighting in a way that speeds up the above mentioned Hz frame rate. The UN55ES6500 is edge lit without the micro dimming feature. Micro dimming also allows for better contrast and color in segmented portions of the screen. These two features are the primary differences between the two TVs and the reason for the slightly higher price in the UN55ES6580 over the UN55ES6500
Is it worth the difference? For edge lit local dimming I dont think the feature is worth it for me. If it was true full array LED local dimming then it would likely be worth it.
Regardless, both of these TVs will give you excellent value for their performance with HD programming and Smart TV options.