Sony XBR-85X950B Bravia Review (XBR85X950B)
85 Inch, 4K UHD Smart TV Active 3D
by Jack Burden, Senior Editor
One of the things we noticed immediately when viewing the X950B reference XBR series is the outstanding black saturation for a 4K LED. It's got a much richer color palate popping off of those saturated blacks. When first viewing the other Sony 4K TVs we though we had seen great picture quality but then the X950B is something greater altogether.
It's loaded with all of Sony's best technologies – Triluminos color, X-tended Dynamic Range Pro and the 4K X-Reality Pro video generation engine – Sony's finest.
The other aspect of this TV that bears special mention is the X-Reality 4K engine, the best in the market in our opinion at formatting and converting all types of content and resolutions to the 4K native panel. This engine gives Sony an advantage over Samsung and LG in the performance category.
Sony Entertainment Network
The new layout of the Sony Entertainment Network contains category separations for Movies, Apps, Music, and Albums. It's a very attractive easy to use layout and thankfully, operates much better than 2013's SEN. The Apps selections are more interesting than in the past as well and we see lots of improvement from Sony in this area.
The selection of apps on the Sony Entertainment Network is pretty good. Most of the services have good content to offer
Social Viewing Feature
One of the most interesting features on Sony TVs for 2014 and beyond is Social Viewing. You can turn on the Twitter scrolling feed feature to find out what people are tweeting about the programing you are viewing. For many shows like The Voice or The Bachelor or many reality TV shows that creates some fun.
This is the layout of the Soical View feature. The program in the largest window with a webcam feed on the left and live Twitter updates on the bottom of the screen
For example, imagine watching that intense college football game while talking to your best buddy about it on Skype right there on the same screen. Fun. Or imagine talking to your friend while watching one of your co-favorite reality shows. You can see where this would definitely add a social aspect aspect to watching TV. In our view of the feature it worked very well.
Touch Pad Remote
The new jet black matte finish touch pad remote from Sony has a very nice fast responsive touch pad that definitely speeds up scrolling within apps and inputing info on the on-screen keyboard. Sony has not included voice recognition into their Smart TV platform yet.
Sony's touch pad remote is just the right size to fit in your hand comfortably. as with other touch pad remotes, a few more key buttons would be nice
Sony Media Player Streaming Box
Sony is currently the leader in 4K content and has a streaming box that will hold 40 to 50 4K movies all filmed in 4K. The box is free with the 65” or above (X900B or X950B). Storage of 4K movies is a bear so this is a pretty good perk. The Sony 4K community consists of 140 4K movies at present all of which were filmed in 4K.
- Screen Size (measured diagonally) :84.6"
- Immersive 4K Ultra HD picture quality with four times the resolution and clarity of Full HD 1080p
- X-tended Dynamic Range PRO driven by direct LED arrays delivers brilliant picture quality
- 4K X-Reality PRO picture engine for best picture from any source
- TRILUMINOS Display for breathtaking color, clarity and detail
- Motionflow XR 960
- HDMI 2.0 makes 4K resolutions at 60p possible with newly developed HEVC codec for support of future 4K content
- ClearAudio+ Digital Sound Processing (DSP) with S-Force Front Surround projects clear vocals and wide sound range
- Speaker Configuration : 2.1ch, Two way speaker [Tweeter (40 mm) x 2, Woofer (50 x 100 mm)x2] ; Subwoofer (80 mm) x 2
- Subwoofer out port for optional subwoofer (SWF-BR100)
- Built-in Wi-Fi for streaming HD (4K soon) content utilizing the Sony Entertainment Network
- Screen Mirroring via NFC OneTouch Mirroring
- MHL 3.0-enabled for mirroring second screens
- Active 3D capable with 2 pairs of glasses included
The XBR-85X950B has a thin profile and unintrusive legs creating a slick and attractive design
|Jack Burden joined the review staff of CEAG Inc. in May 2003 after finishing his graduate work at Harvard University. He has been reporting on consumer electronics and conducting product reviews for more than seven years... Read more about Jack|