Samsung UN40EH6000 Review
120Hz, 1080p Edge Lit LED-LCD Television
by Jack Burden, Reviewer
- Lots of depth through the clear coat screen
- Background Light output (esp sunlight) from the edge lit LED backlighting is bright
- Premium Online Movie options with built in feature
- Design Elements are good for price point
- New for 2012 Wide Color Enhancer helps off center viewing (less contrast loss) somewhat
- Price is decent for a 40" TV with LED backlighting
- 120Hz rate feature helps with fast motion images and sports
- Some glare from in room light when viewing
- 120Hz frame rate can interfere with natural background in cinematic material
- Does not have Full Smart TV options (Apps)
- No 3D Viewing
- Some reflection from the framing bezel
Clear Coat Screen
The incunbent clear coat screen technology that the UN40EH6000 contains is one of our favorites for 2012. We enjoy the depth perception it creates and black levels and contrast while allowing whites to really peak out. Brightness and peak whites are also exceptional traits.
Color performance on the UN40EH6000 is strong but can be washed out if the backlight is set too high. Keep the backlight dialed back in calibration if you prefer more realistic colors so fans of either look can be satisfied by the EH6000. Blacks are very saturated and flesh tones look natural. One of the areas you really improve in by purchasing the higher end models is color rendition.
Strong color performance in the EH6000 is readily apparent in this nature shot
Side Angle Viewing
For an edge lit LED television the side angle viewing performance on the UN40EH6000 is not bad, contrast begins to fade around 30 degrees which is a good result for an edge lit LED television, but is helped in 2012 by the wide color enhancer technology that is built in to the EH6000 series. There is just far less contrast and black level loss than there was in last years D6000 series which this model replaces.
Black performance on the EH6000 is a strong point, blacks are dark and inky and show improvement over 2011 models, but again it's important to keep the backlight at the right setting. The largest improvement is in detail in dark scenes, an area where the black could be over powering in previous models.
Samsung's Connect Share allows you to access some of the most important premium (paid for) movie services available such as Netflix, Amazon Video-On-Demand, Hulu, VuDu and more. For most people, this is enough without being able to access the full array of Apps Samsung has for 2012.
The 40EH6000 has a very thin black bezel of .75" in width. Though this is not one of the more refined or flashy designs on the market it's a good looking set for the price point. The screen depth is still very thin at just under 2.3".
- 40" Diagonal Screen
- 1080p Full HD
|Jack Burden has been reviewing and writing reviews in the consumer electronics category for 7 years with CEAG. He considers grayscale gradation, film patterned retarders, and focus field drives to be fun topics. Read more about Jack|
- Samsung UN60EH6000 Review
- Samsung UN46EH6000 Review
- Samsung UN50EH6000 Review
- Samsung UN55EH6000 Review
- Samsung LCD & LED TV: See a complete listing of Samsung's LED & LCD TV Line Up
- Compare LCD TV Ratings: A quick comparison chart of all our reviewed televisions
- LED TV vs. LCD TV: An in-depth comparison of the two technologies
- LCD TV Reviews: Read LCD TV Reviews